I hope we can sweep genei wo taiyo kakeru under the fandom rug and pretend it doesn’t exist. It’s the worst magical girl series to come out. It’s an insult to even say its a madoka rip off because even that is giving it too much praise.
Submitted by Anon
Okay, can we please talk about the whole ‘Madoka rip-off’ thing in detail. Because I’m getting sick of this. I love Madoka, but this is getting on my nerves. Let’s examine what about this could be a ‘rip off’ of Madoka.
1. Bad things happen to magical girls. The absolute earliest downright depressing magical girl show I’ve been able to track is ‘Mahou no Mako-chan,’ which was 1970. In the second episode she gets kidnapped and strangled, and the show in general is laced with woe.
2. Magical girls unwittingly shred the lives of those they care about. While it was not expressed quite so graphically until recent years, negative effects on the lives of civilian friends have been present for quite some time. The most notable version of this is Naru in ‘Sailor Moon’ in 1992, reinforced in ‘Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon’ to the nth degree in 2003. However, impact on the lives of those around them became a theme pretty much when the genre started in 1966, though negative consequences weren’t explored much until later.
3. Magical girls die. Minky Momo, 1982. If I have to say this one more time I will murder someone.
4. Deception concerning the true nature of their powers. If you count ‘Key the Metal Idol’ (1994) as a magical girl show (which some do), there’s a start. And if not, ‘Revolutionary Girl Utena’ circa 1996 does this pretty well.
5. The corruption of innocents into monsters. THIS. IS. FUCKING. STANDARD. FOR. ANIME. IT JUST FUCKING IS. As is the guilt and heartbreak that comes with dealing with it. THIS IS NOTHING NEW OH MY GOD.
6. Recruitment of people into shady dealings. Utena again, especially the Black Rose arc.
7. General dark ambience/design. Princess Tutu (2002), believe it or not, corners the market on this in many ways in the second half. But you can go even earlier with the Rayearth OVA (1997).
There are probably earlier examples of all of these but I don’t have all of my reference materials at the office so this is just what I’ve got from memory.
tl;dr if you think any magical girl show that is grimdark, has bad things happening to main characters, involves real grief, etc. is a ripoff of a show that came out TWO YEARS ago in a genre that is FIFTY YEARS OLD, you need to stop.
i still agree with wanting it to be swept under the rug/being one of the worst mahou shoujo but up here ^ is real talk
If you don’t like the show don’t watch it. Stop making those who enjoy it feel bad about themselves.
To accuse the people who wrote it of just copying PMMM to insult a whole group of people who have worked incredibly hard and produced some brilliant work, and belittles the writers intelligence and ability. Just because you see similarities between a show does not mean one “copied” the other, do you suggest that once a theme or genre has been done by one anime it may never again be used again? because I don’t think that would work out somehow…
Forgot to post this print I did a few months ago for FanExpo Vancouver!